Junior Championship Final 2012

Third quarter scoring burst seals title

Reserve FC Final 2012 August 7th 2012.


Derrygonnelly 0-13; Devenish 0-10;

Derrygonnelly deservedly claimed the Reserve A Championship title at Brewster Park on Tuesday night despite having to endure a nervy conclusion to the contest as Devenish fought their way back from seven points down to close to within three.

However, the Harps managed to hang on over the final stages as they finished up 0-13 to 0-10 winners.

It was a cagey and disjointed start to the contest with little in the way of quality football early on but it was Derrygonnelly who were to take the lead as Dennis Greene burst up the pitch to fire over the opening score of the encounter.

Leigh Jones then floated over a free for the Harps before Devenish got off the mark with a long range free from Kevin Coyle.

Although Derrygonnelly were to narrowly shade the exchanges in the first half, there was little between the sides as Maurice Cassidy and Jason Love traded points.

Love's ability to carry the ball was causing problems for Derrygonnelly and the sides continued to swap scores over the remainder of the half with Anthony Maguire landing a point from play and a point from a free while Christopher Ferguson also chipped in with a score for Derrygonnelly.

However, with Love and Ciaran Mulrone knocking over points for the Garrison outfit it meant there was only two points dividing the sides at half time with Derrygonnelly leading 0-06 to 0-04.

It was in the third quarter though were Derrygonnelly really stamped their authority on matters as they began to take control of the game.

Leigh Jones sprang to life after a quiet first half and draw a string of frees while Maurice Cassidy was a strong presence at full forward.

With Cassidy, Maguire and Christoper Ferguson all banging over two points apiece, Derrygonnelly pulled away from their opponents and as the game entered the final quarter they had built up a 0-13 to 0-06 lead, Ruairi Doherty rattling over a good point from play for Devenish during the spell of Derrygonnelly dominance.

The introduction of Darren Brady however upset Derrygonnelly's rhythm and he quickly fired over two points for Devenish while fellow substitute Gavin Gallagher also banged over a free.

All of a sudden, from a position of comfort, Derrygonnelly found themselves under pressure and it took a fingertip save from Harps goalkeeper Ryan Farrell to keep a Ciaran Mulrone effort out of the back of the net as Devenish powered forward.

The Garrison side maintained the pressure on Derrygonnelly for the remainder of the tie but all they could muster was a Jason Love point as Derrygonnelly held on to win by three points.