Shamrocks drown the Harps in Erne Cup Final

posted 5 Aug 2018, 07:59 by Derrygonnelly Harps
Played in perfect conditions in Brewster Park this afternoon, Roslea took the Erne Cup Division 1 title with a deserving 3-10 to 0-10 win over the Harps.

The Harps started well, with Kevin Cassidy showing his class with an early point, and then Aidy McKenna after winning the free got on the end of Barry McGraths lofting kick to punch it over the bar.  Brendan Sherlock hit a free for Roslea and he was causing a few headaches inside.  Ciaran Cassidy equally got on a lot of ball and was clean through on goal but it trickled wide.  Sherlock hit a stunning score from the stand side to level the game, and Roslea were applying plenty of pressure around the middle. Oisin Smyth broke forward to point and then with Muzzy through, Conor Mohan in the Roslea nets made a point blank save and they then counter-attacked through Sherlock (who else?!) and he pointed to leave things level again.  Keeves and Dennis were involved in a great move up the left allowing Gavin McGovern to point but this was cancelled out again by Sherlock after Shane Lynch won the free.  At this stage it was nip and tuck but Rosleas running game really kicked in and they bulled ahead with another outrageous effort from Sherlock and a point from Danny Mohan.  The goal was coming, but it went to Roslea, substitute Liam Lynch fired home after good movement from Ciaran Cassidy under a high ball.  At half time the Shamrocks deservedly led 1-6 to 0-4.

The Harps management rung in the changes bringing on Mugs and Lee Jones, but Rosleas dominance around the middle was telling in the second half.  Danny Mohan pointed a free from the right before Sherlock pointed a simple free in front of the posts and the Harps needed something.  The impact of Lee Jones was particularly telling as he was involved in the move that led to a free that Odhran McBrien hit sweetly off the ground from 40 yards out to point, before Lee himself took possession from Jack Love after typical grafting from Keeves to point, and followed this up with an outrageous point from the right.  It was 1-8 to 0-7 and it looked like the Harps might just get their foot back into the game.  Roslea however upped it another gear and a point from Liam Lynch was quickly followed by a Roslea counter attack which saw 3 v 2 and substitute Padraig Cosgrove made no mistake firing to the back of the net.  It was a bit of a killer blow, the Harps had worked hard to get within 4 and now were 2-9 to 0-7 down.  Roslea then hit a great point from Cosgrove on the far right hand side, and the resulting short kick-out was intercepted and Ciaran Cassidy got the goal that in truth his endeavours deserved. 3-10 to 0-7 and from here on in, there was a bit of handbags, Colm Jones had a shot which fizzled wide, and Odhran McBrien pointed a locka frees.  And that was it.

Rosleas running game was good, and the intensity of their tackling was superb.  They fully deserved the win. The Harps will look at that period between the twelfth and twentieth minute of the second half where the game got away from them and kick themselves and they had no luck either, a few injuries dampening the mood.

And so Roslea draw first blood...