Harps Severely Tested But Prevail In Ederney

posted 22 Jul 2018, 14:18 by Derrygonnelly Harps   [ updated 22 Jul 2018, 14:50 ]
Ederney 2-7 Harps 0-14

The Harps maintained their unbeaten record in Senior Football League Division 1 this afternoon in glorious sunshine in St Josephs Park in Ederney, but only just.  Ederney will look back and wonder how they let the Harps get back into the game and truth be told, they will surely wonder how they only managed to score a single point in the second half, given the chances they had.

The Harps started briskly with a point from Garvan Jones in the first minute before Ederney, who got a good grip on things around the middle, hit two points from Michael McAleer and a Paul McCusker free.  Keeves pointed from play #ClassyVeteran before a Harps sideline ball was excellently intercepted by the lively Sean Cassidy who offloaded to Paul McCusker for an Ederney point.  Garvan Jones again pointed from a free before Ederney stung the Harps with a goal  in the 15th minute, created by a great ball in from Decy McCusker taken by Sean Cassidy who off loaded to Conor McGee who picked his spot in the top right hand corner.  It was a great goal and Ryan Morris followed up with a point and Ederney were four points ahead.  Garvan pointed another free, Decy Cass then was through but blazed her over the bar, and Garvan pointed again.  One point game, five minutes left to half time, it was tight.  Sean Cassidy pointed a good score from play before Decy Cass again pointed and there was 30 mins gone, but Ederney yet again hit their goal at the crucial time and it was Paul McCusker who danced his way along the left sideline before crossing the ball across the face of goal for Ryan Morris to leap highest and palm the ball into the net.  Ederney followed this up with a quick point and the referee blew for half time with Ederney well ahead 2-6 to 0-7

Whatever was said at half time certainly got through.  Wardy pointed in the opening minute of the second half.  The Harps got to grips with Ederneys running game and there was a ten minute spell where both teams probed a bit but took the wrong option up front.  In some cases you could say over elaborating and in other cases maybe the wrong man was in the right place.  Marty McGrath came on and his physical presence around the middle was felt.  It was hard hitting but fair too, Ederneys tackling was good and it was strong and credit to referee Karol Bradshaw, he let the thing flow a bit.  Ederney were dealt with a bit of a blow when  Finbarr Gillen saw two yellow cards in as many minutes and suddenly Ederney were down to fourteen men.  Keeves hit a point from play, then two Gary McKenna frees had it down to a one point game.  Ederney had plenty of possession but couldn't turn possession into scores and it was Ryan Jones with a brace that put the Harps ahead for the first time since the first minute of the game. Ryan Morris hit a great score on the overlap as Ederney attacked in waves to level things on the 23rd minute before Gary McKenna pointed a free to keep us a point ahead with three to go.  The final few minutes were frantic.  Tackling was King, shooting was not.  Ederney had two chances but neither worked out for them and the Harps just snuck home with the win.  Ederney were really very good today and they would feel they deserved to get something from todays game.  They are a well organised side and had to contend with losing Chris Snow after ten minutes with a hamstring injury, and played the last twenty minutes a man down.  Conor McGee had a great game for Ederney, he worked tirelessly around the middle using the ball well, Paul McCusker put in a great hours shift too.  Despite only scoring a point in the second half, they have dangerous forwards. Sean Cassidy most definitely caught the eye with his physical strength and eye for the posts, while Ryan Morris only needs a sniff and he will cause damage.  Both teams missed chances but the flip side is that they created chances, just the Harps were able to hang on for the win.

Next up for the Harps is another double weekend;
Away to Lisnaskea on Friday night at 8pm
Home to St Patricks on Sunday at 12pm