Harps get the better of Devenish in Harpland

posted 10 Jun 2018, 14:21 by Derrygonnelly Harps
Derrygonnelly Harps 4-14 Devenish 1-6

Traditionally, derby contests between the Harps and Devenish are usually tough and dogged close affairs, but with both teams missing several regulars it was to be a drab enough affair in Harpland this afternoon.

The Harps started brightly with points from Mugs, Gary McKenna (a point from play and a pointed free) and a goalmouth clearance from a scuffed Stephen Gilroy shot.  Terry O'Flanagan pointed for Devenish with a great shot from distance. There was a barren 10 minute spell here, where the Harps had shed loads of possession, but the final pass was just lacking.  The lively Joe O'Brien pointed for Devenish, blazing his shot over the bar, while the Harps replied with a Gary free, and a delightful point from Moffat following a lovely quick passing move, while Shane also pointed with a  nice strike.  Joe O'Brien pointed a free from the left for Devenish and then the Harps finished the first half with a goal from Gary McKenna after another good passing movement, while Wardy finally split the posts with two points from play to leave the half time score Harps 1-8 Devenish 0-3

Devenish started the second half brightly, showing a fair bit of purpose but their finishing let them down.  Stephen Gilroy pointed for the Harps while Terry O'Fla pointed a free from far out on the right, and then there was a bit of drama as Tiarnan was adjudged to have fouled the Devenish forward from a high loopy ball over the top, and Joe O'Brien made no mistake with the penalty kick, going low and to the left.  Devenish definitely had the momentum here but from the kickout, Mugs won the mark (Mugs was generally just great today) he passed it on to Keeves, on to Wardy for a point at the other end, and that kinda calmed the thing down.  There was another 10 minute spell without a score, but Gary McKenna lit up a dour enough spell with an absolute wonder-strike! He carried the ball maybe 50 yards flat out, and then buried it with aplomb to the top corner.  His uncle called it a "serious goal!" which is high praise indeed.  Devenish pointed another free and then came a nice goal from Classy Veteran Keeves, after good work from the ever-impressive Shane. From here on in, Wardy went on a scoring spree with 1-4 in the closing minutes, his goal coming from the penalty spot.
Martin Higgins blew the whistle and the full time score was Harps 4-14 V Devenish 1-6

Up next is Erne Gaels in Harpland on Friday 15th June at 8pm