Harps give Kinawley the Blues #SFL1

Kinawley 1-8 Harps 1-12

A Big crowd travelled from far and wide to watch table toppers Derrygonnelly Harps take on the in-form Kinawley in the big top-of-the-table clash in glorious sunshine.

Both teams were depleted due to injuries and "other commitments" and from the off it became obvious that this was going to be a defensive game.  Kinawley were well organised but had a first half that was riddled with errors and costly wides.   Paul Breen hit all three of their points in the first half, one from play and two frees.  Sean Doc was soldiering on manfully, his clash with Decy Cassidy was a real humdinger!  Scores for the Harps came from Gary McKenna (2 x frees) along with Moffat hitting a beaut after great work from Aidy McKenna, Shane hit a point and we had two from Colm Jones.  Mugs got the goal towards the end of the first half, a quickly taken free caught Sean Hussey off guard in the Kinawley goal and Mugs hit the net.  The Harps had plenty of possession but lacked the killer instinct to take the score straight away, and while this movement from one wing to the other frustrated supporters, the Harps kept the ball well.
Half Time Kinawley 0-3 Harps 1-6
The second half saw the temperatures drop a bit as the clouds gathered beyond the windmills, but Kinawley definitely upped the tempo.  A free from Breen was cancelled out by two Gary McKenna frees before Kinawley hit three on the bounce in a seven minute spell that saw the Harps a bit rattled and definitely on the back foot, Ruairi McAloon, Donal Owens and Conor Murphy all getting on the scoresheet.  But with Micky Jones in defence, there was always calmness and certainty.  Indeed, Micky ventured upfield and laid off for Foss to win a free that McKenna again converted, with Leigh Jones also getting a score.  But Kinawley kept probing forward, Jack Kelly having to make a save off his knee ("It doesn't matter how you save the ball, just as long as you save it!"). Micky Jones went upfield again and found himself in unchartered territory one-on-one with Sean Hussey but Hussey pulled off a great save.  Colm Jones hit an outrageous point from an acute angle on the left, and Aidan McKenna pointed before Shea Keenan hit a great goal for Kinawley, probably no less than their efforts deserved in the second half in fairness.  They tagged on a late point following a Jack fisted clearance and with that Martin Higgins blew the full time whistle.
Final score Kinawley 1-8 Harps 1-12

Hard to really tell a big pile about Kinawley today, their attack looked blunt without Ruairi Corrigan, plus they have other players still to come back into the frame.  They hit a lot of wides in the first half, but they had a very decent second half, their workrate definitely improved and with it came scores.  For the Harps, it was especially pleasing to see all round top guy and classy veteran Kevin Cassidy make a welcome return to the team.  Little Lee Jones ran the legs off himself in the second half, Mugs had another great hour, while Gary McKenna can be very happy after a good days work, he grafted away and kept the scoreboard ticking over with his free-taking.

Next up is Roslea at home on Friday night.